2013 Woolcraft Contest Rules
Adults and Youth will be judged separately and divided into three divisions each:
Div. 1: Wearable Clothing (dresses, jackets, sweaters, vests, etc.)
Div. 2: Wearable Accessories (hats, mittens, scarves, shawls, footwear, etc.)
Div. 3: Non-wearable (rugs, wall hangings, dolls, pillows, artwork, etc.)
Rules and Regulations:
1. Judging will be based on aesthetic appeal, originality and craftsmanship.
2. Techniques used may include weaving, knitting by hand or machine, crocheting, hooking, braiding, embroidery, felting, sewing, etc.
3. Articles must be at least 50% sheep wool. Articles produced from commercial yarn or fabric are eligible. Items made from handspun, hand-woven, hand-dyed materials, etc. made by someone other than the exhibitor are considered “commercial” and must be labeled as such.
4. All articles exhibited must be made by the exhibitor.
5. All articles exhibited must not be worn prior to exhibit.
6. Exhibits for Adult and Youth classes will be divided as follows:
A. Adults—20 years of age or over.
B. Youth—under 20 years of age as of Jan. 1.
7. Additional classes may be added within each Division at the discretion of the judge, if there are enough entries.
8. Premium money will be part of the funds allocated to the entire contest of handcrafted articles. Premiums will be paid on a point basis. A minimum of three places will be awarded in each division, if entries are sufficient. One best of show will be selected in the Adult Woolcraft Show, and one in the Youth Woolcraft Show, if exhibits are sufficient. Ribbons and Best of Show trophies will be awarded at the time of judging. Premium monies will be mailed to award winners after the fair. Additional special awards will be awarded as available and appropriate.
9. A completed general entry blank must be filled out and left with the exhibit upon arrival. No pre-registration is required. There is no entry fee.
10. Entry forms may be mailed to the Show Secretary prior to the fair, post-marked by Friday one full week before the fair. Late entries are welcome, and blank forms will be available at the exhibit hall between 7:30 – 9:00 am Saturday.
11. There is no limit to the number of articles one may submit. Each article should be tagged separately.
12. Articles should be tagged with either the MSWF Wool Craft Tag (click here for Wool Craft Tags) or two 3” x 5” cards, with the following information:
Display Card: neatly printed on one side, attached to item, with no identifying information.
- Fiber content (%) and breed(s) of sheep, if known
- Description of materials used. (i.e. purchased cloth vs. cloth hand-woven by exhibitor, commercially spun yarn vs. yarn handspun by exhibitor vs. purchased handspun yarn from another spinner, etc.)
- Techniques used (i.e. sewn, knit, machine knit, woven, hand-dyed, felted, etc.)
Identification Card: folded in half, neatly printed, attached to the item with the following info.
Outside of folded card:
B. Age Classification of exhibitor (Youth please list age)
Inside of folded card:
A. Exhibitor’s name
13. Articles will be accepted between 7:30 and 9:00 am Saturday. All articles must be on display from 9:30 am Saturday to 3 pm Sunday.
14. All articles must be picked up between 3 and 4 pm Sunday. Unclaimed articles are not the responsibility of the fair Committee.
For more information please contact:
Barbara Goodchild, 383 Cooper Lane, Shelburne, MA 01370
Click here to download the Entry Form
2012 Best of Show Winners:
Adult Best of Show Wool Craft - Pat Pawlowicz, MA (Non-wearable - needlefelt)
Elizabeth Bourgeois Knitting Award - Barbara Giguere, MA (Wearable - knit)
Youth Best of Show - Brianna Taylor, MA (Wearable clothing - sewn)
2011 Best of Show Winners:
Adult Best of Show Wool Craft - Pat Pawlowicz (Massachusetts) for her Wool Craft Division 3: Non-wearable sculpture
Youth Best of Show - Rebecca Dwight (New York) for her Wool Craft Division 3, Non-wearable entry.
2010 Best of Show Winners:
Adult Handspun - Kristine Baker, NJ
Youth Handspun - Anna Lemme, MA
Adult Woolcraft - Anna Charest, MA
Youth Woolcraft - Isabelle Tower, MA
2009 Best of Show Winners:
Adult Handspun - Melissa Cunningham, CT
Adult Woolcraft - Barbara Giguere, MA
Youth Woolcraft - Emily Pepper